1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
• Why will the business succeed?
• What do you want to start (or change)?
• How much money is required?
• What is the return on the investment?
• Why is the venture a good risk?
2. BUSINESS DESCRIPTION
• What type of business are you planning?
• What products or services will you sell?
• What type of opportunity is it (new, part time, expansion, seasonal, year round)?
• Why does it promise to succeed?
• What is the growth potential?
• How is it unique?
• Who are your potential customers?
• How large is the market?
• Who are your competitors? How are their businesses positioned?
• What market share do you anticipate?
• How will you price your product or service?
• What advertising and promotional strategies will you use?
4. RESEARCH, DESIGN, AND DEVELOPMENT
• Have you carefully described your design or development?
• What technical assistance have you received?
• What research needs do you anticipate?
• Are the costs involved in research and design reasonable?
• Where will the business be located? Why?
• What steps are required to produce your product or service?
• What are your needs for production (e.g., facilities and equipment)?
• Who will be your suppliers?
• What type of transportation is available?
• What is the supply of available labor?
• What will it cost to produce your product or service?
• Who will manage the business?
• What qualifications do you have?
• How many employees will you need? What will they do?
• How will you structure your organization?
• What are your plans for employee salaries, wages, and benefits?
• What consultants and specialists will you need? How will you use them?
• What legal form of ownership will you choose? Why?
• What licenses and permits will you need?
7. CRITICAL RISKS
• What potential problems could arise?
• How likely are they?
• How do you plan to manage these potential problems?
• What is your total estimated business income for the first year? Monthly for the first year? Quarterly for the second and third years?
• What will it cost you to open the business?
• What will your personal monthly financial needs be?
• What sales volume will you need in order to make a profit the first three years?
• What will be the break even point?
• What will be your projected assets, liabilities, and net worth on the day before you expect to open?
• What are your total financial needs?
• What are your potential funding sources? How will you spend it?
• How will the loans be secure?
9. MILESTONE SCHEDULE
• What timing have you projected for this project?
• How have you set your objectives?
• Have you set up your deadlines for each stage of your venture?
• Is there a relationship between events in this venture?
• Have you included all important documents, drawings, agreements, and references?